Total Pageviews

Sunday, October 9, 2011

A Break In The Storm

Ahhh.....a moment I've been praying for.  A moment I thought would never arrive.  An actual break in the raging storm!   Rays of sunshine have been poking through the dark clouds for the last 10 days or so.  It's given me time to collect myself, refresh and find a smidgen of HOPE.
My boy has come to his senses.  (For now.  Knock on wood!)  He agreed to get help with his anxiety, reluctantly.  The pediatrician is amazing with adolescents.  Blunt, in-your-face, and funny at the same time. He treats my little monster with respect at the same time telling him he's being an idiot.  He actually has some semblance of respect for him and leaves his appointments laughing and lighthearted.  A miracle!
He has on a few occasions voiced the opinion that marijuana is a better choice for treating his anxiety, it's "natural" don't you know.   At age 18 he says he'll get a green card.  I remind him that his daily pot use created more anxiety, bouts of uncontrollable anger and is illegal.  At least antidepressants are controlled.  Don't get me wrong.  I have many issues with our medical profession.  Treating just symptoms doesn't work for me.  It's all about instant gratification and most Americans are over medicated.  I believe in a more holistic approach.  Discovering what the "cause" of the problem is and fixing it.  Unfortunately my son has refused to visit his issues and address the real causes of his young anxiety-ridden life.  Out of desperation for his welfare and all of us being affected, I chose this route.
It's as if someone flipped a switch or rewired his circuits.  He's falling asleep quickly at night with no TV to babysit him.  He's been calm, somewhat respectful (we're still working on that) and has all "A's" due to his nightly regime of study.  He has stopped pestering me about hanging with the "questionable" friends and has successfully passed 5 straight weeks of drug tests. 
I am quietly celebrating my new found HOPE but I suspect this could only be the calm before another storm.  I am  cautiously watching for signs of manipulation and lying.
For the moment I am praising God and reveling in the simple pleasure of life. Now there is PEACE!!

No comments:

Post a Comment